Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bamberg

This historical town is touted as Little Venice because of part of the altestadt, (the old town) is between the river Regnitz and the Main-Donau canal (the same canal that passes by my appartment), and there are several bridges crisscrossing on both sides.

The town is about 30 minutes from my place by train and cost me 10 bucks for a day trip. I carried my bicycle along on the train (at 4 euros extra). The day was forecasted to be cloudy as most of this summer is turning out to be. But since I was bored of being at home, I took the risk.

As I cycled through the town, the fragrance of flowers was very refreshing. And the cloudy weather actually helped because it made cycling more pleasurable.

The town was abuzz with activity – typical of a summer afternoon in a European town I think. People were out and there were a lot of tourists. The market was choc-a-bloc with people and roadside restaurants had spilled on the roads which, as usual, are blocked to automobiles.

After parking my bike by a church, I explored the town on foot – the famous Alterathaus is perched atop the island between the rivers and is quite a sight with one wall painted in Renaissance style. Someone actually got ingenious and sculpted a painted cherub’s leg out from the wall. See pictures below.

The main church – The Imperial Cathedral or the Kaiserdom, has been in place since the eleventh century and has been rebuilt several times. It seemed like a typical German Catholic church to me. But I saw a cavalcade of leathered motor-bikers wearing their “don’t-mess-with-me” attitude gathering around the church. Later, the priest of the church had a service for them – outside the church. I wondered if the bikers needed the service more or the souls of the bikes themselves. Some of the bikes were antiques and some straight out of Fast and Furious!

After a strenuous climb, I reached the St. Michael Convent. The tiny windows of the nun’s cells appeared like boxes piled up on top of each other. Also, since its on top of a hill, the rose-garden next to the Convent gives a good view of the town of Bamberg.

After ice-cream and coffee in a nice cafĂ©, I covered the St. Michael church and also the St. Stephan’s church. The latter is a Lutheran church and is different because of its Protestant style. Seemed more modern to my untrained eyes and I liked it.

After the pilgrimage, I realized that the town can indulge you in more worldly pleasures – Orgasms and Blow Jobs are available for as little as 2.90 Euros! See pictures!

I enjoyed my (still) vegetarian meal of grilled fetter cheese with lots of olives and started the journey back. Just then, the rains started!

1 comment:

The 6th Sibling said...

R u seroious about the E2.90? :) sounds too good to be true...