Saturday, July 12, 2008

The smallest city in Switzerland

It’s called Werdenberg. And I discovered it on one of my several evening walks.

Right across my hotel I found this lake. It was hidden from direct view by an old building. The lake itself must have been clean but had a lot of pollen floating on the water surface making it look dirty. There were ducks and a pair of Swans (of Hans as they are called in German) floating among the pollen. There was even a nest right in the middle of the lake.





As I went around the lake, I found these old wooden houses and a note specifying their history. The 34 houses in total, along with a castle, formed the whole city of Werdenberg. The city was built around 1230 AD and was purchased and re-sold by several families till 1956 when it was donated the castle to the local municipality. The castle is the white building in the background. In the foreground is the “Snake House”:

And with the doctor’s house in the foreground:

Some other houses in which people still live:
The view of the lake from the “city”:
The next day when Matthias, the project manager mentioned that Buchs has a lake and a castle, I went “…that dirty lake?! I have seen it”

No comments: