Sunday, September 21, 2008

Some semblance of Life

It was a very boring and lazy Saturday and I was moaning arriving here. Then at 5 PM I took the bus to the town, and saw some life.
The walk down the Neur Markt (New Market) was refreshing. Finally I saw people getting about. The pizzerias and the imbises (singular Imbiss, much like the darshinis back in Bangalore) were doing brisk business.

Something that struck me was the labels that the seemingly average people were flaunting – Gucci, Chanel and Esprit being the favored ones. I consider those people average because there were so many of them and because something tells me that the uber-rich wouldn’t be seen in Erlangen’s Neur Markt any how.

As it got colder and darker, I liked it more. Winter always has this effect on me. I love to walk around in the cold for a bit knowing fully well that when I get really cold I can rush to the cozy warmth of one of the many stores nearby. People were still out there – chatting, guffawing, smoking, kissing, and holding hands.

Life!

Thank God!

No comments: