Monday, October 6, 2008

The Fabled German Rudeness

In my one month here, I have had two occasions when I got to witness the so called German rudeness.

I was at the Rathaus (Raat - as in the Hindi night, haus – house), the local registration office where each visitor to the country must go and register to get a local identity for administrative purposes. I had trouble in filling up a form which had instructions in most EU languages including English. I left a few columns empty to check before I filled in my answers. AT the counter, this burly, huge woman began in Deutsche I had not filled those columns. When I said “Deutsche Nien” she pointed out that everything was in English too. She went on blasting me off in Deutsche till the time I filled everything to the best of my knowledge. And bang – she began talking in properly, clipped English!

Do I take that as rudeness? I think she wanted to make it a point that if everything is in a language I understand, I should be smart enough to get it all! Must be one of those hard-to-please people who expect efficiency from people around them!

My bank has been issuing me ATM cards and PINs. I try them and each time the machines just eat up my card. I was exasperated at the constant runs to the bank and had had it. This woman at the counter begins explaining me that I have been using the wrong PIN and I keep telling her that I have always used the correct PIN. After help from another colleague who could talk in English, and after several sighs from me, she was able to tell me that the PINs I have been trying were of previous cards that were delivered with new cards! But this explanation came at the expense of bearing several dirty looks, flailing hands and “you are not listening to me”s from the lady at the counter.

I reckon the Germans are just an emotional people who let their anger and dissatisfaction show very easily. I guess they would also show their happiness and congeniality with equal fervor but may be they just don’t get chance enough to display the good part.

Hence, I still haven’t made up my mind if they are rude or not. I would wait and watch before I label them.

2 comments:

The 6th Sibling said...

Ha ha ha.. for some reason my thoughts are frittering away to that little boy cleaner + waiter at Dosa Stop on Thippasandra Main Road.. no prizes for guessing why..

Rajul said...

You mean the Cafe Coffee Day waiters? I was always nice to teh one in Dosa Stop!