Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Things people do….

I am referring to one particular practice often exercised in closed spaces, sometimes in the open; by dim, smokey lights. This practice has parallels among other species and hence is a basic instinct but humans have added a hugely entertaining, and at times ridiculous edge to it like they have done to so many other things. They call it social dancing.

People dance for various reasons – to show happiness or to be happy; to attract attention or to answer others’ attempts of vanity; to unwind or to just kill time. Most of them need the heady feeling of being drunk before they can let their hair down. And this breed of dancers sure lets it down – hair and all. They can be a spectacle. No matter what the beat is and no matter what the lyrics are they just get stuck on to their favorite step and on and on they go repeating it with a vengeance not paralleled even by a wagging tail of a pet. A few take the adage ‘dance as no one is watching’ to another level by actually shutting their eyes and transforming themselves into a fantastic world where they are superstars.

The not-so-drunk types may do other antics. Some of them imitate hopping toads while others try the flexibility of a crane’s neck, and still others trot like a peacock. Several other organisms can be found at closer inspection. The long forgotten versions of break-dance steps go hand in feet with bhangra sways; the ‘cultured’ variety chooses a personal version of salsa over bhangra and also punctuates it with a disco delight. All of this to get laid! Sooner or later, with this one or that, or just to get off watching others almost mate on the floor.

There is another breed of jiggy-aspirants. I know of atleast one specimen of this variety – ahem - yours truly! While I smirked at the antics of all the boys and girls, men and women around me I realized that in not so a distant past I was doing just the same. Though I’d like to believe that I did it with a little more panache and followed the beat, I have no clue how many people I have made feel smug at my own version of dancing. I have danced to the most ridiculous numbers at the most awful places. Gosh!

After amusing and berating myself on the above lines for about an hour and wondering what to do with myself, I gave in. Off I went – hands flailing, feet swaying, bum swiveling, pelvis pumping, lips puckered, eyes shut – imagining myself to be the superstar! I am so glad I can still manage the feat without alcohol but if I start thinking more I may soon be either off the floor permanently or will need something very heady to head that way.

But till then I will do the Mambo laced with Hula!

PS: This post is not half as funny as I intended it to be. Hope to write on the subject again….

PPS: One Two Cha Cha Cha… Lets do Cha Cha Cha…

1 comment:

Subha said...

Nice post there and had a few hearty laughs! Dancing from a dancer's view..neat!