Sunday, October 5, 2008

I have a view

From my 19th floor wohnung (vo-nung , deutsche for apartment). I can see far and wide. And these days I see the early fall colors. Bright yellows, fiery reds, flaming oranges interspersed by green pines (which I think will remain green till the time snow covers the needles).

I can also see a lake somewhere in the distance and took a walk in the general direction but did not find it. The wind has made the trees shiver and shed and the pavements have turned a bright yellow from a dull cement grey. I loved crushing the leaves under my feet – they are not yet dry and hence did not make much of a crunching noise – but I still delighted myself by stepping on them!

The walk around the neighborhood also upped my spirits a bit. There is a café close by which is open till 10 PM daily (note the stress on daily, which means including Sundays). Though it is not exactly cozy, but the Aquarian in me heaved a sigh of relief to know of the possibility of having a place to go with a book.
The usual Der Beck (equivalent to the Indian Café Coffee Day) is around the other corner but closes by 6 PM. And there is a Doner und Kebap place further down, also open till 10 PM. Implies I will live!

Then, behind my house is the Europa Kanal which also gives my address its name. The canal is flanked by gravel path and hence is apt for a jog. There is a rowing club and ample chairs along the canal. So, I look forward to a nice summer (it is so far away). I only wish somebody would initiate me into activities as these. I keep holding myself back for the fear of the unknown and it being an alien land, and the trigger seldom comes from within. I need to change this.

But overall, I think I would start liking being here now….!



FOr all the pictures, visit http://picasaweb.google.com/rajulver/IHaveAView#

2 comments:

The 6th Sibling said...

Congratulations on finding a nest.. :)

Rajul said...

I'd rather call it my pad. "Nest" has a very family feel to it!